The main objective of a pre-purchase electrical inspection is to provide detailed information on the condition of all electrical services. This could be in a residential home, or commercial premises you might be looking to purchase, or even lease.
An electrical home inspection provides a thorough examination of your entire electrical system, ensuring all electrical wires, systems, and components (such as appliances) meet legal safety standards. Assuming that your home is your biggest asset, it makes sense to ensure any property that you contemplate buying is up to code. Getting a pre-purchase electrical inspection will ensure your home is safe and will help you to avoid any nasty shocks further down the track.
Electrical wiring has a lifespan
Like everything, electrical wiring has a lifespan, and wiring towards the end of its life isn’t going to perform as well as newer wiring. Wires can lose their grounding over time and in old homes with old circuits a grounding wire may even be non-existent, so it’s essential for an electrician to test the wiring and circuit of any new home you may be considering. If you are looking to buy an older house an electrical inspection is especially important.
A comprehensive pre-purchase electrical inspection generally involves:
- Identifying any electrical hazards
- Checking for uncovered permanent wiring
- Checking for any exposed wires
- Checking for outdated wiring
- Safety switch testing
- Examination of the power box
- Testing power points and lighting
- Checking the condition of air-conditionings – We run the air conditioning units for 20 minutes while on site as some faults aren’t presented until the unit has been running for 15 minutes. This can save a lot of money.
- Checking hot water units
- Checking solar systems
- Evaluating the level of electrical service
- Assessing whether the home includes any DIY wiring
- Testing of smoke alarms and noting the location of the alarms
- Scanning for any electrical items that don’t comply with current government regulations
For more information about our pre-purchase electrical inspection service, contact us today.
Reasons why you need a pre-purchase electrical inspection
During an inspection, one of our qualified electricians will inspect your home or office’s electrical system to make sure all elements are compliant with local and national standards. Here are our top 3 reasons why you need a pre-purchase electrical inspection:
1. For the safety of your family
The most important reason, of course, is safety. Without regular thorough electrical inspections, the first sign that there is something wrong is when there is a major problem, like a fire or an electrical accident.
2. Help negotiate better price and prevent any extra cost
Any faults found within a property can be costly to repair after the house has been bought, so it’s highly recommended to perform an inspection first. Usually, finding electrical problems will enable you to negotiate a lower price, but sometimes an electrical and building inspection can be included in the pre-purchase price of a property, so it’s important to communicate with the agent on terms that are suitable.
3. It’s not always included in all home inspections
While a building inspector will examine the structural components of your home and some minor electrical components, they won’t go into much depth. They may flick switches, check that you have smoke alarms and monitor some appliances. However, to ensure your home’s electrical integrity, having an in-depth inspection completed is strongly recommended.
Want a free quote for an electrical inspection? Contact us today!
Additional reasons to get an electrical inspection done
- If the house is over 25 years old.
- If you haven’t had an electrical inspection done before or it has been longer than 5 years.
- If you have old wiring; or
- If any DIY work has been carried out.
How can Voltec Services Help You?
It is important to ensure that a qualified professional completes the electrical inspection on your home or business. When you choose Voltec Services, you will have peace of mind knowing that we have over 15 years of experience in serving local businesses and property owners with their electrical needs.
Our team will provide you with a comprehensive inspection and talk you through what might need to be done in simple terms. The inspection report will include recommendations for any rectification of electrical problems, hazards and required upgrades to ensure safety and electrical integrity of homes. If required, we will provide written quotes on any recommended upgrade or urgent safety upgrades. We pride ourselves on our thorough, professional, and friendly service. If you would like a pre-purchase electrical inspection completed, give us a call on 0438 214 425 for a free quote.